Environmental Health course in Tanzania – Diploma in environmental health science & Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health Sciences
Environmental health is a science of human injury and illness prevention as well as well-being advancement. This study includes identifying and analyzing environments and hazardous agents while limiting exposures to other hazardous physical, chemical, and biological agents in elements that may affect health. It is a science in balance and defense that protects people and the environment with a focus on preventative measures.
An Environmental Health Science degree is the first step towards a variety of gratifying jobs. They can range from teaching to fieldwork, and some require further education to qualify. Even though each job may specialize in a certain area of environmental health, they do retain some similarities.
Environmental health sciences professionals focus on identifying the relationships and risks of the physical environment around us on our health. They actively try to improve the public’s health addressing these environmental risk factors and putting in a concerted effort to mitigate the risks around us.
This is a wide-ranging, complex, and multifaceted profession, spanning chemistry, toxicology and engineering, among many other disciplines. While a wet-science background is appreciated it is by no means necessary to work in this field. For example, occupation health is a facet of environmental health yet does not always include chemical or toxic assessment, for example, construction workers or factory workers who work with heavy operational machinery every day. Like all public health fields, it also involves collaboration with and reliance upon other professionals, including chemists, geologists, biologists, meteorologists, physicists, physicians, engineers, human resources representatives, and even politicians.
Environmental Health Colleges in Tanzania
Following are the most popular Environmental Sciences Colleges in Tanzania. Follow the links to Learn more about these Environmental Sciences colleges
Diploma and certificate in Environmental Health Sciences
- Ngudu School of Environmental Health Sciences – Government
- St. Thomas Institute of Management and Technology – Songea – Private
- Kagemu School of Environmental Health Sciences – Government
- Muyoge College of Health Sciences and Management – Private
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health
- State University of Zanzibar (SUZA), Zanzibar
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS), Dar es Salaam
Entry requirements – Eligibility criteria for Environmental Health course in Tanzania
The eligibility criteria for the courses of Environmental Science varies from the courses to courses and according to the level of course.
- For Technician Certificate in Environmental Health course, the basic eligibility Holders of Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (CSEE) with four (4) Passes in non-religious Subjects including “D” Passes in Chemistry, Biology, Physics/Engineering Sciences.
- For Ordinary Diploma in Environmental Health Sciences, the basic eligibility is the Holders of Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (CSEE) with four (4) Passes in non-religious Subjects; and Possession of Technician Certificate (NTA Level 5) in Environmental Health Sciences and Transcript from Health Training Institution Recognized By The Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elders and Children; and Work Experience of two (2) Years and Above; Necessary Attachments: Technician Certificate and Transcript, Letter of Permission from Employer and License to Practice.
- For undergraduate courses ( Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health ), the basic eligibility is three principal passes in Chemistry, Biology and either Physics or Mathematics or Nutrition or Geography or Agriculture with a minimum of 6 points. A minimum of C grade in Chemistry and D grade in Biology and at least E grade in Physics or Advanced Mathematics or Nutrition or Geography or Agriculture
- For postgraduate courses, basic eligibility is B.Sc. in Environmental Science, Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health or bachelor’s degree in any discipline of science which is related to the study of the environment such as physics, chemistry, biology, zoology, geography, ecology, geology, etc.
Environmental Health Professional
Environmental Health Professionals perform a variety of tasks related to occupational and environmental health. They may develop and implement policies to monitor and improve environmental health and safety, or they may take a more legislative tack and work on developing wide-ranging environmental and occupational health policies. These professionals can also be found in a human resources capacity, assisting individuals who have been injured on the job.
Jobs and job titles Related to Environmental Health Professional – Environmental health science jobs in Tanzania
Most environmental health jobs offer above-average salaries starting at the entry-level. However, they can involve some unavoidable dangers and stresses due to the nature of the jobs. That is why an EHS degree should be paired with skills such as effective communication, detail-oriented, problem-solving, physical health and stamina, and team compatibility. Students will do well if they are passionate, prepared, and excited to be involved with a science critical to people’s well-being.
- Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
- Corporate Health and Safety Director
- Food Safety Inspector
- Health and Safety Engineer
- Environmental Scientist
- Food Safety Auditor
- Food Safety Officer
- Food Technologist
- Health Inspector
- Health Promotion Practitioner
- Health Surveyor
- Occupational Health and Safety Officer
- Pest and Weed Controller
- Primary Products Inspector
- Safety Inspector