Country Director, Tanzania
Mobile technology is revolutionizing how organizations engage with the people they serve. More than 96% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone, meaning it is now possible to reach nearly every single person on the planet. Yet 3 billion people living in emerging markets still lack access to relevant, timely, and engaging information in their local languages, and their voices remain underheard. The organizations that serve them lack the technology and capacity to reach them, and many are unaware of the power of mobile technology to meet their organizational goals.
Viamo believes that information is power. We connect individuals and organizations using digital technology to make better decisions.
Having reached more than 21 million people in 2022 and more than 4 million monthly active users, we have our eyes on our goal of reaching 100 million monthly active users by 2026.
We provide organizations with the digital solutions and expertise to meaningfully engage their target audiences on the mobile devices they already have. We do this by disseminating actionable benefits in the form of digital campaigns, digital training, and the Viamo platform – a toll-free gateway to the world with no internet connection required. We also use digital surveys to gather feedback and collect lean data to hear from the people you serve and to support operational decision-making.
Viamo has been in Tanzania since 2016. Tanzania’s mobile penetration rates show a steady increase in recent years. Currently, 81% percent of households own a mobile phone. This is higher than radio or television ownership, which is 49% and 23% respectively. Given Viamo’s use of Interactive Voice Response (IVR), we are uniquely positioned to work in Tanzania, where only 72 percent of men and 67 percent of women can read a whole sentence. In 2022 alone, the Viamo Platform in Tanzania reached over 1.1 million unique users.
About the role
You will be our representative in Tanzania and a passionate leader within the Digital for Development movement. Your role is to drive impact, leading the development, sale, and launch of innovative and effective digital engagement campaigns that address some of the most intractable development challenges. You will ensure that every large development sector organization knows about Viamo’s latest solutions and you will supervise the delivery of Viamo’s work on our projects. Read more about Viamo’s suite of solutions here.
What does success look like
- Impact: We measure unique individuals who meaningfully engage with our services and we track the behavior and frequency of these interactions.
- Bookings (In-country sales): We measure our success in a market by the number and financial value of new sales opportunities generated and contracts signed.
- Revenue: We measure the value of contracts acquired in each market and we track the timely and quality implementation of these projects.
- Take the lead in creating impact and ensure that all Viamo staff are passionate and committed to creating impact through mobile
- Drive growth through in-country sales. You will lead the sale of Viamo’s solutions in the development sector by proactively identifying prospective clients while also tracking and responding to RFPs with high-quality proposals and budgets.
- Work with development sector partners to design and launch effective mobile engagement projects; this includes building relationships, co-designing projects, preparing budgets, and establishing Viamo as a digital thought leader.
- Delight our partners with quality, and timely execution of program deliverables.
- Supervise the management of the Viamo Platform (3-2-1 Service), expanding the content available, and developing strategic partnerships to ensure sustainability and increase impact for end users.
- Manage relationships with Mobile Network Operators to ensure the infrastructure is in place to connect with all mobile phones in Tanzania.
- Represent the organization to national government agencies and ensure organizational compliance with national regulatory bodies.
- Manage the Viamo Tanzania team and the administration of the Tanzania office.
- Spend at least 60% of your time on sales, with an approximation of ~15% on implementation, 15% on managing the Viamo Platform, and 10% on finance and administration)
Key Performance Indicators
● Impact: number of monthly active users and monthly user benefits on the Viamo Platform.
● Bookings (In-country sales): Margin value of contracts signed.
● Revenue: Execution & invoicing of program deliverables
Team and Reporting Structure
- Reports to Regional Director for East Africa
- Line manages One Platform Director, dotted supervision of one Program Manager, and one Finance and Administration Officer.
- Experience of 8+ years in any combination of social enterprise, INGO, Mobile Network Operator, ICT4D/ Digital for Development, donor or international implementer
- Entrepreneurial mindset and proven experience in co-developing ideas with partners, strong workshop facilitation skills, and experience in design thinking approaches
- Proven business development skills, proposal writing, and partnership building with a history of collaborative project development and submitting winning applications
- Measurable team management experience, including strong intercultural sensitivity, and a passion for unleashing the potential of your colleagues
- Project management experience, including reporting and budgeting; experience implementing USAID and other large donors–funded projects desirable
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated self-management, skills, adaptability, and resourcefulness
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Swahili is highly desirable.
- Experience living and working in Tanzania or other countries in East Africa.
Compensation at Viamo comprises a mix of a base gross salary plus variable compensation earned on each contract signed.
How to apply
Viamo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and encourage applications from all candidates. We believe that diverse perspectives help our teams to create innovative solutions and understand our global clients’ needs. In alignment with our values, we are committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce without discrimination.
Apply now with a CV and a short cover letter.to https://viamo-inc.breezy.hr/p/d82349367eef-country-director-tanzania
Please note that interviews will be done on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.