Primary Location: Africa & Middle East-Tanzania, United Republic of-Dar es Salaam
Employee Status: Permanent
Posting Date: 22/Mar/2023, 7:52:11 PM
Unposting Date: 06/Apr/2023, 1:59:00 AM
Roles and Responsibility
- The role holder is responsible for end-to-end processing of Financial Markets and Securities Services products for in-country Financial Markets Operations. And serve as the focal point of contact by GBS on all outsourced processes
- To understand, implement and ensure compliance with country regulatory and global regulatory requirements with regards to Financial Markets and Securities Services products.
- To work closely with GBS Hubs to ensure services delivered are of top quality and that customer’s needs are being attended to according to the service level agreements.
- To ensure that key business practices and service delivery processes are conducted in compliance with Group and country regulatory guidelines and those risks are identified and managed.
- To support Head Financial Markets Operations to deliver the Financial Markets and Securities Services business strategy as it relates to role.
- Provide governance over the service provided by the hubs and take ultimate responsibility for the level of service provided to Financial Markets Operations. Ensure processes supporting the country performed either onshore or offshore meet the minimum standards.
- Ensure all settlement activities for FX and Money Market are conducted as per Bank’s guidelines.
- Ensure that operational guidelines for processing of settlement activities are appropriate and are consistently applied with regard to settlement activities in Tanzania.
- Ensure effective management of budgets.
- Management of the day-to-day operations to align to the business strategy and priorities, monitoring service issues and action plans to rectify it and work with the Head Financial Markets Operations to improve operational risk.
- Ensuring compliance with all Group and Country policies, Code of Conduct and consistency in execution, and to ensure that statutory regulations and laws as a corporate body are met and satisfied.
- Ensure day to day operating compliance with all relevant local and global regulatory requirements and industry best practice.
- Management of Risk effectively, including identification, communication and remediation of risks to the relevant forums
- Support the Management Forums (Client, Geography, Product, Infrastructure, etc) through active participation, or proactive feedback
- Driving cost and processing efficiency in the delivery of services
- Driving end-to-end delivery of Technology and Operations services in line with established service standards as well as govern overall Change Management process towards Project Management/ Implementation in country
- Managerial role as a backup for head of FMO during leave
- Financial Markets Operations
- Ensure all FX and Money market deals are settled as per bank’s and regulatory framework.
- Exchange of deal confirmation is done in timely manner.
- Escalate to line manager in case of any deal discrepancies.
- Verification of deals through source documents.
- Compliance to the global outstanding confirmations guidelines/procedure.
- Implement sound control and consistent process.
- Coordinate with the counter banks for settlement related issues.
- 100% compliance of signature verification and call back procedures of the Group.
- Producing/Chasing/Matching transaction documentation/ settlements for FX/MM transactions.
- Management of production workflow ensuring all trades are issued/matched/ settled within the Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Ensure all outstanding deals are confirmed in timely manner.
- Engage and follow up on local counterparts on failed trades to ensure same is closed timely while providing regular daily updates.
- Investigation of outstanding transactions on Advised and Unadvised FX Branch Suspense account and follow up to ensure that there is ownership for all items that are outstanding.
- Preparation of regulatory returns ensuring timely delivery of quality and accurate information.
- Processing the Money market interbank deals via Central Bank system (IBCM).
- Processing the purchases and sales of government securities (primary and secondary).
- Review end of day checks
Securities Services Operations
- Preparation of regulatory returns ensuring timely delivery of quality and accurate information.
- Message Control and reconciliations: – Receive client instructions, complete pre-processing checks, distribute and perform end of day reconciliation, complete call back/signature verification and N-Cap/EOP’s is accordance with Desk Operating instructions and Policy.
- Equities and Fixed Income Settlements: – Carry out Settlements and General Banking activities in line with laid down procedures and all regulatory requirements, processing of equity, fixed income and money markets settlement, including ensuring sufficient funds, shares and credit limit, reviewing potential failed/failed trade until resolutions, Inward and outward claims and response to client’s inquiries in a timely manner and by providing accurate information
- Corporate actions: – Perform the day-to-day corporate actions’ processing in respect to: Processing of mandatory, voluntary corporate actions events and Proxy Voting including the timely dissemination of information to clients and disbursement of income proceeds.
- Master File Administration and Billing: – carry out Master File Administration and General Banking activities in line with laid down procedures and all regulatory requirements.
- Newsflash information gathering and processing.
- Ensure incidents are managed and resolved in a timely manner. Actively engage with internal stakeholders and support functions to overcome obstacles in resolution of incidents while providing timely updates to client and internal stakeholders on progress made.
- Proactive client engagement and regular “pulse checks” for premier clients through due diligence visits, service reviews, proactive communication of market news, deeper understanding of clients’ need end to end, questionnaires completion, RFP, etc.
- Review end of day checks
People and Talent
- Be a good example and observe the appropriate culture and values.
- Participation in cost & feasibility analysis for market & operational initiatives
- Participate in the implementation of local and global projects which impact the department’s processes
- Team player; work as a team and assist other team member when required
- Comply with Operational Risk Management and Controls.
- Ensure all reconciliation are investigated timely, controls are effectively exercised over all operational procedures to prevent frauds and avoid losses to the Bank.
- Proactively manage risk and identify any risk within the role and escalating to Head Financial Markets Operations and work with the Risk Manager to implement controls and mitigations.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of the main risks facing Financial Markets Operations and the job role in managing them and ensuring reasonable steps are taken in managing them
- Ensure identified control testing defects are resolved, including identification of root causes and any associated process changes required to minimize the probability of process failures
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of regulatory reports within Job Role but working with the regulatory reporting manager.
- Remain alert to the risk of money laundering and assist in the Bank efforts in combating it by adhering to the key principles in relation to: Identifying your customer, knowing your customer, reporting suspicions, safeguarding records and not disclosing suspicions to customers.
- Support Country Head FMO to execute risk and control responsibilities as a Country Process Owner
- Ensure operational incidents (losses or near misses) are logged in accordance with relevant polices
- Ensure root causes reports relating to operational incidents are completed in line with the Banks policies including meeting of all reporting time lines. This includes the implementation of any appropriate process and control changes to minimize the probability of a re-occurrence
- Identify and report all exceptions on non-compliance with standard controls.
- Oversee the settlement activities by all aspects of the control and monitoring of associated operational risk.
- Managing call quality through monitoring calls.
- Ensure timely resolution of client queries.
- Use customer feedback to continuously re-engineer process.
- Ensuring sustainable level of control is applied to daily processes to confirm minimal risk to the Bank (by monitoring and escalations)
- Review trend analysis of performance benchmark standards (straight through processing attainment, query resolution turnaround times etc)
- Responsible to ensure BCM framework adequately supports the business strategy
- Liaise with the front office and the GBS to ensure smooth processing of daily transactions and provide quick response to internal and external queries as well as customer queries.
- Reviewing of outstanding Financial Markets and Securities Services related transactions on the Nostro , Suspense and Sundry accounts and follow up with GBS for closure ensuring that there is ownership for all items that are outstanding.
- Track timely release of payments to clients’ accounts by GBS Cash Management Operations for intraday transactions in order to avoid customer complaints and putting the bank at risk of potential penalty charges
- Track to ensure all brokerage fees are processed by GBS and Country Finance timely
- Track client queries/ complaints to GBS and ensure they are resolved within turnaround time
- Collaborate with External and Internal audit management
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Support the Financial Markets Operations Tanzania to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.] *
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Vertical Heads
- Business/ Sales stakeholders
- Finance – country and Group
- Risk – country and Group
- Technology – country and Group
- Legal & Compliance – country and Group
- Internal and External auditors
- AME and Group FM MT
- Country COO/ CEO/ HR Head
- To perform any job or task resulting from urgent needs and those that may be assigned by Head FM Operations
Our Ideal Candidate
- Market Knowledge: – awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the firm operates. Must be conversant with various regulations that impact financial markets in the location, specifically Local Regulators guidelines
- Business Strategy and Model: – awareness and understanding of the firm’s business strategy and model appropriate to the role
- Risk Management and Control: – ability to identify, assess, monitor, control and mitigate risks to. Also, awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the bank, Financial Markets and the role the individual plays in managing them.
- In-depth knowledge of banking operations
- Knowledge of Regulatory reporting requirement
- Proficient in PC Skills particularly Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Ability to work within a multi-function, multi-discipline team environment with good stakeholder management skills
- Understanding of Third-Party Risk Management
- Good communication, Interpersonal and excellent analytical skills.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience, preferably in a Financial institution
- Reasonably good at Financial accounting of Markets products.
- In-depth knowledge of banking operations and good analytical skills.
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- Customer Focus
- Disruptive Innovation
- Financial Services industry
- Internal Controls
- Operational Functions
- Process Improvement
- Process Management
- Products and Services
- Relationship Management
- Risk Management
About Standard Chartered
We’re an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we’ve worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge, and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you’re looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can’t wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you’ll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
- In line with our Fair Pay Charter, we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies – everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
- Recruitment assessments – some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you’ve applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.