Founded in 1956, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities – in more than 40 countries around the world. DRC has been implementing emergency response projects in Tanzania since the onset of the Burundi refugee crisis in 2015 in three refugee camps in the Kigoma Region at the border with Burundi. DRC’s integrated projects for refugees, asylum seekers and host communities comprise sectors such as Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Protection (CBP, PSN, GBV, CP and Legal), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter and infrastructure, and Economic Recovery.
Overall purpose of the role:
This is a senior Finance position for an experienced person with the ability to look at the bigger picture while being able to deliver hands-on results. In support of the Finance Manager, the Area based SMT and the Area Manager support the DRC operations within Tanzania (Kigoma region) with a key focus on the Accountancy including assessing the reliability of the financial control systems as a whole. This position identifies and implements measures needed to ensure that the financial systems are functioning at the desired levels of efficiency, effectiveness, accountability and compliance.
This role has an area office focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines set at HQ and Regional Office levels and within the country, as well as compliance with relevant Tanzania Laws and regulations (NSSF, Taxation, Labour Law). The role contributes to the development of strategies, which are translated into SOPs. The role subsequently ensures compliance with these SOPs. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations.
Geographic scope: Tanzania-Kigoma Region
This role has a focus on Tanzania and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
- Review and validation of financial records for compliance with DRC’s Operations Handbook and donor policies and procedures for all support units (supply chain, HR, finance, and admin).
- Review and validation of project financial reports for compliance with DRC’s Operations handbook and donor policies and procedures (ie: budget flexibility, eligible costs, report format, etc) prior submission to HQ and donors.
- Be the focal point person for the Tanzania Master budget, meaning updating this in consultation with finance manager and HOSS, presenting this on a quarterly basis and ensuring it is constantly updated.
- Lead the process of submitting Financial Statements on an annual basis, liaising with the audit firm and RO/HQ to ensure All information is accurate, complete and in full compliance with Tanzanian rules and regulations.
- Implement recommendations of the tax compliance self-check to ensure full compliance with Tanzanian Law.
- Draft, review, and validation of budget proposals prior submission to HQ for approval.
- Responsible and ensure on-time creation of project set-up in the DRC ERP System called Dynamics, budget forecast, and/or budget modification.
- Serve as the focal point for project specific external audits and follow up in coordination with the Finance Manager. Ensure all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with Coordination staff and HQ is available.
- Review and monitor completion of month end tasks by all area offices and country office. Follow up and monitor monthly reconciliation overviews of balance sheet items.
- Responsible for regular quality check of payment requests/ financial documents prior to payment and providing colleagues with clear feedback / guidance on improvement of systems.
- Monitor use of internal controls and provide guidance to strengthen them, validate and review compliance self-checks and follow up on action plans.
- Develop innovative compliance self-checks and collaborate with the Regional Office to ensure that areas of poor or weak controls are controlled by implementing new policies and checks on a regular basis.
- Prepare internal control review reports; keep up to date on donor compliance rules, regulations, and DRC’s Operations Handbook policies and procedures.
- Promote general awareness on internal controls by both Finance, Supply Chain, and Program staff alike.
- Identify risks and develop/ improve internal control systems to reduce the associated risks
- Review of donor reports for accuracy, compliance with donor requirements and timeliness before submission to RO and HQ for review.
- Provide training for finance staff when needed/requested on DRC’s ERP system Dynamics and/or other DRC Operations Handbook policies and procedures.
- Serve as focal point for local partners, review financial report and provide training to partners on budget preparation and financial reporting.
- Serve as finance focal point for Consortium projects. Closely coordination for budget development, review, financial report and project audit.
- Support the Finance Manager and Area Manager with development of SOPs and localized policies as needed based on identified gaps in organizational policies or based on local requirements.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- To be successful in this role we expect you to have at least 5 years of experience in a relevant field. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- A Master’s Degree or advanced professional qualification in Finance or similar sector.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in compliance functions in the finance field at a similar level position.
- If not compliance related experience, at least 5 years working in Finance field (general).
- Experience working for a large INGO, with in depth knowledge of INGO rules, regulations, policies and, and procedures.
- Experience and expertise in the use of financial system software, preferably a Microsoft ERP system.
- Master’s degree in Economics, Business Administration or International Development
- Certification of CA, ACCA or CPA is mandatory
- English (Fluent)
- Kiswahili (Fluent)
- Compliance and Detail-oriented
- Strong team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills, culturally sensitive and adaptable
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Understands humanitarian issues in Tanzania, and the region
- Willing to travel to project sites in Tanzania
Reporting Line: Finance Manager
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
DRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff within its programs. As such, we strongly encourage national and diaspora candidates to apply for this position. However, candidates should take into consideration that DRC cannot employ, under an international contract, a national of the country in which he or she will be working (in this case, the United Republic of Tanzania)
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under JOB.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!
Leave a Reply