Diploma in Radiography Diagnostic is a Diploma level Radiography course. Radiography involves the study of a medical subfield which diagnoses the ailment and diseases of the internal and hidden parts of the body using X-ray, Fluoroscopy, Ultrasound (Sonography), CT Scan (Computed Tomography), MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), Angiography, PET (Positron Emission Tomography), etc. The course covers the study of both Diagnostic and Therapeutic Radiography which involves the treatment of cancers and tumours with radiations. It includes the study of subjects and topics such as Clinical Radiotherapy, Clinical Chemotherapy, Radiobiology, Clinical Trials, Palliative Care, etc.
Diploma in Diagnostic Radiography Programme
This is a competency-based six-semester Diploma in Diagnostic Radiography (DDR) programme. The aim of the programme is to train radiographers to be able to use different kinds of X-rays CT IMRI ultrasound, CR and digital Radiography facilities scans and to investigate diseases injuries in patients. They should also be able to care for patients and maintain radiological facilities, i.e. Radiological and Imaging facilities in their place of work. The radiographer will also be trained to interpret plain radiographs and give intravenous injections where applicable.
C grade or higher passes in three out of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics and at least D grade pass in English. Physics is a major subject.
Radiographer Assistant with three years experience who has passed the selection examination recognized by the University and must have ‘O’ – level secondary school certificate.
Diploma in Radiography Diagnostic Course Suitability
- Applicants should also possess skills like attention to detail, the ability to learn new skills and adapt and to make decisions quickly and independently.
- Candidates must possess a strong scientific and technical bent of mind, the ability to learn new skills and adapt to the changes and a spirit for teamwork, along with self-confidence.
- Candidates should have the nature of enhancing the confidence in patients, tolerance, a strong willpower, strength of mind and purpose.
- They should have good interpersonal skills to communicate with other members of the team and to provide support for patients who may be frightened or uncertain about what is going to happen.
How is Diploma in Radiography Diagnostic Course Beneficial?
- Candidates have the options of pursuing a career in various specializations of radiography such as in bone densitometry, basic x-ray, computed tomography, mammography, MRI, fluoroscopy, angiography, interventional radiology, cardiovascular interventional radiology, etc.
- As compared to other paramedical professions, employment opportunities in the field of Radiography are excellent, as this is a career where the demand exceeds supply.
- There is a huge requirement for physiotherapists in India and abroad, especially in countries like the USA, Canada and Australia.
Diploma in Radiography Diagnostic Employment Areas
- Community Health Care Centres/Primary Health Care Centres
- Defence Forces
- Diagnostic Centres
- Educational Institutes
- Government and Private Hospitals
- Mental Health Centres
- Nursing Homes or Private Care Centres
- Occupational Health Centres
- Out-Patient Clinics
- Private Practices
- Radiotherapy Equipment Manufacturers
- Radiotherapy Research Organizations
- Universities and Colleges
Diploma in Radiography Diagnostic Job Types
- Diagnostic Radiographer
- Radiation Protection Specialist
- Radiation Therapy Educator
- Radiation Therapy Equipment Sales Representative
- Radiation Therapy Team Supervisor
- Radiation Therapy Technologist
- Radiation Therapy Treatment Researcher
- Therapy Radiographer
- X-Ray Technician
Diploma in Radiography Diagnostic Colleges in Tanzania
Diploma in Diagnostic Radiography Programme is offered at Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences and The Muhimbili Institute of Allied Health Sciences