You have probably been wondering online searching, browsing through the web looking for information about UNISA application 2023. This is because you may have probably heard or known The University of South Africa UNISA due to its popularity and you are dreaming of becoming one of the students who will be admitted to the university.
This article provides the answers to you regarding the University of South Africa UNISA online application process, application forms, etc.
Overview of The University of South Africa(UNISA)
The University of South Africa UNISA is the largest open-distance institution in Africa, it enrols about one-third of all South African students. The university was founded in 1873, and by that time it was known as the University of the Cape of Good Hope. The University became the first public university in the world to teach exclusively by means of distance education in 1946.
The institution offers an unparalleled range of study choices, ranging from short courses and certificate programmes to three-and four-year degrees and diplomas, with close to 400 000 current students. As one of the leading research institutions on the continent, our research efforts have won us numerous awards, recognitions, and honors.
The UNISA Faculties
The University of South Africa, UNISA has been made up of eight (8) main faculties. Each faculty has many departments as listed below:
- Faculty of Accounting Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Human Sciences
- Faculty of Economics & Management Sciences
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- Faculty of Law
UNISA application 2023
If you are seeking to apply for admission at the University of South Africa (UNISA) for Undergraduate qualifications, Honours degrees & postgraduate diplomas, Master’s & doctoral qualifications and Short Learning Programmes can apply online by visiting the UNISA admission portal.
UNISA application 2023 dates
The opening and closing dates for UNISA applications have been shown in the table below,
|Application Events||Opening Dates||Closing dates|
|Honours degrees & postgraduate diplomas||CLOSED||CLOSED
|Master’s & doctoral qualifications||CLOSED||CLOSED|
|Short Learning Programmes||CLOSED||CLOSED|
UNISA application fee 2023
The UNISA application is not free, the University charges an application fee to all applicants. for a successful application candidates must pay a non-refundable application fee.
The table below illustrates in detail the UNISA application fees for 2023 admission for various qualifications.
|QUALIFICATION||ONLINE APPLICATION FEE|
|Master’s & doctoral degrees||R120|
|Honours degrees & postgraduate diplomas||R120|
|Short Learning Programmes||No application fee|
UNISA application forms
Candidates seeking admission at UNISA must feel a special application form which can be available online or offline. UNISA offline application forms can be downloaded on the Official UNISA website, an applicant can download and fill out the forms and submit them back to UNISA.
Before applying to UNISA, candidates shall check the Unisa Courses and Entry requirements. The comprehensive clarification of UNISA courses and their specific entry requirements is available on the UNISA prospectus for the current academic year.
Also, the list of all UNISA courses and programmes for the current academic year is available in this post: The list of UNISA courses and Requirements
UNISA online application forms 2023
Applications for admission to Unisa’s undergraduate qualifications (higher certificates, advanced certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas & degrees), Master’s & doctoral qualifications, Short Learning Programmes, and Honours degrees & postgraduate diplomas are done online through the UNISA online application forms.
To apply for admission, an applicant must fill out the application forms online and upload the scanned supporting documents. The Online application process has been illustrated in the next section below.
How to apply for UNISA admission Online.
As mentioned earlier, all applications for admission to Unisa’s undergraduate qualifications (higher certificates, advanced certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas & degrees), Master’s & doctoral qualifications, Short Learning Programmes, and Honours degrees & postgraduate diplomas shall be done online through the UNISA online application portal.
To apply for admission to UNISA, you must make sure that;
- You meet the statutory and college admission requirements for my qualification(s) of choice.
- You meet the minimum academic points score (APS) for my qualification(s) of choice.
- You have a valid e-mail address and cellphone number, and I accept that Unisa will communicate with me during the application process using this e-mail address and cellphone number. Please ensure that you provide only one e-mail address and one cellphone number during the application process.
Also, before applying for admission at UNISA make sure you have the following documents scanned All applicants starting a new qualification must upload all the required documents, which generally consist of the following:
- Copy of your school qualifications (e.g. Senior Certificate, National Senior Certificate)
- Copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable) (internet copies will not be accepted)
- Copy of your ID document (RSA students) or ID/passport (international students)
- Copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for admission at UNISA for first-time applicants
- To start your application please access the UNISA online application website at https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/default/Apply-for-admission/Apply-for-admission-to-study:-application-tool
- The UNISA online application form will open, scroll to the forms and make your selection of either Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Short Learning Programmes, or Masters and Doctoral.
- The new section will open, enter your personal details such as your name and date of birth
- Click the continue button, and the new section will open which allows you to select your preferred qualification.
- Follow the onscreen instructions provided and finally Select the application fee payments option to pay your application fee and submit your application
Additionally, once you have successfully applied for admission at UNISA, the next step is to track the status of your application. If your applications were submitted successfully, you will be able to see the status of your application just a few days after the closing date.
For more details on how to track your application status, please read this post: UNISA application status.