The North-West University (NWU) is a South African university with three campuses at Potchefstroom, Mahikeng (Previously Mafikeng) and Vanderbijlpark, South Africa. In Potchefstroom is the head office of the University. With its merged status, the North-West University became one of the largest universities in South Africa and has 64 081 students (full-time and distance education).
The universities that merged to form this institution are the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education and the University of North-West (formerly the University of Bophuthatswana). The Potchefstroom University already had a Vanderbijlpark branch.
The NWU officially came into being on 1 January 2004 as part of the South African government’s plan to transform higher education. In our case, this saw a historically white university and a historically black university merging to create a new university where South Africans from all walks of life have come together.
The historically black university was the former University of North-West, whose students were mostly black people from rural communities. The historically white university was the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education, whose students were mostly white Afrikaans people from Christian backgrounds. A third party was the Sebokeng Campus of another mainly black university, Vista, whose staff and students were incorporated.
Their coming together to form the North-West University (NWU) was a strong symbolic act of reconciliation and nation building – and a highly effective one. The transition to the unified NWU has been hailed as one of the most successful and stable higher education mergers in South Africa. Each year since the merger, the NWU has produced a healthy financial surplus, improved student pass rates, increased research output and risen in the corporate governance rankings for South African universities.
This stability reflects the culture of consultation at the NWU, our clear vision, values and mission, our effective governance and leadership, and the well-defined strategic and operational plans we have made to take the NWU into the future.
- university of north-west distance learning
- north west university online application
- north-west university prospectus
- north west university online application 2020
- north-west university courses
- north-west university contact details
- north-west university mafikeng
- north west university login
- Tshwane University of Technology courses, Application, Fees and Contacts
- University of South Africa courses, UNISAApplication, Fees and Contacts
- University of south africa UNISA Online application
- University of limpopo online application 2020
- Nelson mandela university online application 2020
- University of Limpopo courses, Application, Fees and Contacts
- University of zululand application forms 2020
- Rhodes university online application 2020
- Should brands try to change the world? What the research says.